I am a Computer Systems Scientist. I like building novel, interesting, useful, and robust systems. I like to deploy and evaluate their performance in the real-world to see where these systems work, where they fail, and how we can improve their performance. My research interst lies in the areas of human-in-the-loop cyber-physical systems, smart and connected sensor systems, internet of things, smart buildings and cities, retail analytics systems, and applied AI.
Brief bio: I received my PhD from the Department of Computer Science of the University of Virginia in December 2014 under the supervision of Prof. John A. Stankovic. During my graduate study, I worked for Google as a Software Engineering Intern with AdSense back-end infrastructure team at Mountain View, California in Fall 2010.
Awards and Grants
- Best Paper Award Nomination, International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient Buildings, Cities, and Transportation (BuildSys), 2019.
- Bosch Research Performance Recognition Award, 2018.
- $1.3M grant from DOE BTO Buildings Energy Efficiency Frontiers and Innovation Technologies (BENEFIT), Human-in-the-loop Sensing and Control for Commercial Building Energy Efficiency and Occupant Comfort (DE-EE0007682), 2016. (PI: Mario Berges, CMU).
- Best Paper Award Finalist, The ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS), 2015.
- Best Paper Award Finalist, The ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS), 2014.
- Microsoft Research Software Engineering Innovation Foundation (SEIF) Award, Dependency aware Sharing of Internet of Things for Integrating Systems in Smart Homes, 2014. (PI: John Stankovic, UVA).
- Travel Grant, Google PhD Summit, 2014.
- Finalist, University of Virginia Engineering Research Symposium (UVERS), 2014.
- 03/16/20: DCOSS '20 paper accepted!
- 01/15/20: IoTDI '20 paper accepted!
- 07/31/19: BuildSys '19 paper accepted!
- 06/29/19: ACM TCPS '19 paper accepted!
- 04/22/19: "Industry Research in Computer Science: Experiences and Perspectives", Guest Lecture at University of Houston.
- 04/12/18: "Machine Learning and Big Data: Where do they fit in CPS?", Panelist at IPSN '18.
- 01/20/18: ACC '18 paper accepted!
- 01/16/18: IPSN '18 paper accepted!
- 09/15/17: BuildSys '17 poster and demo accepted.
- 03/14/17: SECON '17 paper accepted!
- 03/10/17: DCOSS '17 paper accepted!
- 02/20/17: IoTDI '17 poster accepted.
- 02/10/17: IPSN '17 poster accepted.
- 01/27/17: RTAS '17 paper accepted!
- 07/14/16: $1.3M award notification from DOE!
- Session chair: Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), 2018.
- TPC member: Workshop on Assured Autonomous Systems, 2020.
- TPC member: IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS), 2020.
- TPC member: IEEE International Conference on Mobility, Sensing and Networking, 2020.
- TPC member: International conference on Time Series and Forecasting, 2020.
- TPC member: ACM International Workshop on Distributed Fog Services Design, 2019, 2018.
- TPC member: Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN), 2018.
- TPC member: Wireless Ad Hoc and Sensor Network Symposium, 2018.
- Reviewer: Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 2019, 2017.
- Reviewer: ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 2017, 2013, 2012.
- Reviewer: ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, 2017, 2016.
- Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, 2016.
- Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 2016.
- Reviewer: IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control, 2014.